Tuesday, 28 July 2015

Take 2

I think that it's depressingly symptomatic of where I am as a creator of new jokes at the moment that after writing a blog declaring from the rooftops my desire to blog daily about my progress with writing new material it has taken me a further 13 days to write the next one.  Never before has a person so thoroughly damned themselves with their own actions (nor written about it in such a pompous, sub-Russell Crowe voiceover way.  "Never before" you fucking pillock.)

Still, it's not like I've been an inert heap for the past fortnight, instead I just haven't pumped out the regular sit down writing sessions for stand-up that I'd wanted.  What have I done instead?  Well, two very rough cuts at the Buxton Fringe.  They didn't reveal much in the way of new stuff, other than a couple of choice new lines and then Storyteller's Club at Latitude.  This involved sitting in the corner of a slightly mildewed shed and mining my memory for any jokes that could be recast as stories.  It also meant dredging up a story I've been telling for years but have never quite been able to sell convincingly.  It's the mostly true (like most stand-up stories) tale of the time I committed a hate crime.  Against Jesus.  With a Zippo.  It's always been told with varying degrees of plausibility and varying degrees of outrage/ disgust/ hilarity from the audience.  But, the two re-telling at Buxton and Latitude have convinced me that I need to keep working on it.  The basic premise just sounds like a tale that needs to be told in a stand-up show, I just need to find a way of keeping on the very delicate tightrope I'm walking as I tell it.  I really hope it's part of next years show and I've nailed it by then, as a routine that's been worked on for 4-5 years only to be finally properly honed would be a cracking thing to have done.

Elsewhere in the world of writing I've started mining old notebooks that I've found to see if there's any diamonds in the vast swathe of naive rough and gone on stage at the Good Ship and talked shit at people for about 20-30 minutes 4 times.  It's been fun and interactive and I've got a fair bunch of laughs, but nothing really that could be turned into routines, I don't think, just a few more neat turns of phrase to add to the compering rolodex.

So... some progress, but not quite in the direction I wanted.  Still, some is better than none and I'm still feeling the right side of positive for the Camden Fringe shows in a few weeks.  All new, all with potential and maybe something a little special somewhere.

I'm off to write some more jokes and will definitely post about my progress in no more than 12 days time...

No comments:

Post a Comment